Monday, March 21, 2016

My Friend Far Away and Mommy Quiet Baths

Oh, how I miss the days of bathing a newborn! I never thought I'd say that, back when I had a newborn, 3 years ago! The reality is that it's increasingly difficult to manage a squirming toddler in the tub, especially when she needs to get washed up, but I just can't convince her to sit still!

Because I have a kiddo who is prone to respiratory problems, I have a routine that I do to keep her healthy, and one I do when she's sick to help nurse her back to health, too. (Don't all moms do that?!) I know when her coughing is more than just a typical cold, and when it's triggered by her asthma, and I also know when it's time to get her to the doctor before she comes down with a serious illness, like pneumonia.

Anyway, this late-winter cold season hasn't been kind to this household. Robert was sick, then Ellie Jo, and then me. We all had different colds, and different symptoms (go figure). Now, I'm not a "granola-y" mom, and I'm also not an "all about modern medicine" mom. I'm somewhere in the middle. (I'm not about to bore you with my personal opinions on antibiotics and/ or immunizations, don't worry!) But I'm all about trying anything possible to keep my sweet girl smiling when she's sick!

So, naturally, when my good friend, Keri, spent an entire evening brainstorming ways I could help care for my poor girlie who had a nasty cough (and was starting to come down with it myself), I was just soaking up everything she was offering as a solution. Keri and I are 3 states apart, since she's in California now. But the distance doesn't matter. I still consider her one of my very good friends, and we're always swapping crazy crafting ideas, swooning over Fixer Upper and Flip or Flop ideas on HGTV, or just having an insane texting session! This one night in particular, I had asked Keri what she thought I could do to help make bathtime productive to for Ellie's coughing. She suggested that I do a detox bath for Ellie. The recipe is super simple:
I love this stuff so much, I started
adding a couple drops to my stone
soap dish in my shower before I shower
and get ready in the mornings!

  • 1/2 cup Epsom Salt (2 cups for adults)
  • 1/4 cup baking soda (1 cup for adults)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp oil; 3 drops essential oils (3 tbsp oil; 10 drops essential oils for adults)
  • candle (for light)
  • soothing music (recommendation below)
Keri uses DoTerra essential oils, and after she told me that Breathe is great for respiratory health, I dove into my medicine cabinet for the last few drops I had from the last "care package" she'd sent with samples of everything she loves. I put them in the bath with the salt and baking soda, and put Ellie in there. Keeping her calm and quiet was very difficult, but I was able to do it with some soft music on my phone. I didn't like the first several options I tried, but after about 6 of these detox baths, I finally settled on this YouTube video to help settle Ellie Jo down, and keep her calm. Also, I always light a big jar candle and turn off the lights to help maintain the quiet mood! I just use her regular shampoo/ body wash, and I don't allow toys. Instead, I let her lay down on her back over my arms, and I gently rock her back and forth with one hand on her neck and one on her legs, and I just sway her from one end of the tub to the other. It's almost mesmorizing to watch her beautiful blonde hair swish and curl around her while her little eyes close and her sweet little smile appears on her face! It totally reminds me of when she was a tiny baby!

Now that it's been several weeks, sometimes I do these baths for her just because! We started calling them, "Mommy Quiet Baths," because the soothing music and water sounds + essential oil and soak really do help to create peace and calm! One night, I ruined it for everyone, because Elizabeth was restless so I was frustrated, and resorted to watching a show while she was in the bath. Even though the light was off (as it always is), and the candle was going strong, the rapid movement from the screen had us both on edge, and I gave up and made Robert come in and take over. I walked away feeling defeated and discouraged, hearing Ellie whine and cry. I knew I'd ruined the whole experience, and it was just a bad night. 
Yes, this picture has a toy in the bath, but I
snapped it quickly before I got her in the bath!

It's something I look forward to now, and whenever I have time, I sneak in a Mommy Quiet Bath for myself! Ellie asks for them often now, and it's really a special and enjoyable time to relax!

To recap: baking soda + Epsom salt + Breathe Essential Oil by DoTerra + soothing music + candle = bliss. 

2 comments:

Keri Ronk said...

Great idea to put some Breathe in the shower! I'm totally going to do that in the morning! Maybe with Citrus Bliss to help me wake up!

Unknown said...

It seriously helps SO much!! And putting it on the natural stone makes it last longer, too!