Sunday, May 4, 2014

Screen Time

There's real life, and then there's "screen life." But why? Because society has made it that way!  I don't agree with it, and I definitely could do better with it myself. I think our culture is almost self-medicating with "screens."

Since Elizabeth was old enough to focus on TV, we have been asked time and time again several questions about "screen time." Let me post some answers:

  • How much TV do you allow her to watch?  Depends on the day. We prefer for her time to be filled with music, reading, activity and recreation, and we keep her very involved in our lives as individuals as well as a family. However, we have found that certain shows like Little Einsteins and Sesame Street place an emphasis on our goals and desires for her to learn, grow, and play. I would say generally, she watches one or two shows per day at the most. Sometimes, we have trouble putting her to sleep, and then she gets to snuggle in our bed and watch a show. (Which brings me to an important personal choice - we do have a TV in our bedroom. We understand that some people don't, and that's okay. However, for our family, we have chosen to have one there.) So basically, we let her have some TV/ screen time nearly every day. But the majority of her day is spent eating, nursing, crawling/ standing, playing and enjoying life without screens. 
  • When will you let her have a tablet, computer or smart phone of her own? While we understand that some parents allow even babies to have their own "screens," we will not be allowing this in our home. Until either her scholastic endeavors or extra-curricular activites require it, and she proves to us that she is responsible enough to have these privileges, she will not have any of her own. Also, screen time will happen out in the open, with Robert and I involved in what she is doing. I find it outrageous that 3-year-olds know how to operate their own iPads, and while Elizabeth does know that sliding her finger on mommy's iPhone will show pretty colors and make sounds (as I let her play her baby apps with me from time to time), she does not ever get to play with our tablets, phones or computers unsupervised. Additionally, these items will not be available for entertainment for her during family events or functions. We do think that it's acceptable to use them when needed, but they should not overtake family time. 
  • When can she watch PG-13 movies? This fully depends on 3 important things: Robert and I viewing the movie first, the nature of the movie, and the purpose of her seeing it. For instance, if she's sleeping over at a friend's house, I will express my expectation to that friend's parents as well as my daughter that I need to know what movies/ entertainment the girls will be viewing prior to anything being shown. If it's just a "for fun" movie that we have approved, it's fine. If it's got a lot of violence, innuendos, and swearing, absolutely not. Unfortunately, I am going to be the "strict" parent with this issue, because I believe that as a young teenager, I was watching movies that were not appropriate for me at all (mostly horror flicks) that have affected me more deeply than I thought they would - even 10-15 years later. I was desensitized to things like killing, torture, stalking, gossip, dishonesty, etc. I don't want that for my daughter. 
  • What kind of music can she listen to? Whatever she wants, as long as we approve. We listen to literally everything from rock to country to Christian to classical to gospel music, and I want her to have an eclectic taste like we do, if that's what she wants. (Side note: She has adored Chris Young's music since she was a tiny baby! It's adorable when we play it for her. She also enjoys Luke Bryan, and one particular song by Pharrell Williams "Happy.") 
Anyway, to wrap up this post, I want to put a link here for a video I watched online today. It sends a great message. It's true - we are ALL guilty of not just being on our phones, tablets and computers all the time, but generally disconnecting from the world around us. Enjoy:



No comments: